The best part about being an armchair journalist is that it affords us the ability to check multiple sources at our leisure. As opposed to having to meet some crazy deadline, which can expose a flaw if overlooked by the editors. And in doing so in this case. We decided to bring this credible piece of information to light. While it mat appear false to some. It definitely carries a credible amount of weight in explaining why no one really showed up. Not to mention the fact that nobody really gives a shit any more. So here goes:
More than 11 million pesos have been paid out to protesters who joined the anti-Marcos burial rally this past Saturday at Luneta Park, according to a Metro Manila Congressman who had knowledge of the issue.
In a clandestine interview, the Congressman, although still a Liberal Party member, said 11 million pesos had been released by a major political party to fund leftist groups who organized the protest rally itself. The Congressman who works as an insider, has asked to remain anonymous.
“I was tasked to organize at least 500 people from Metro Manila, but I told them I cannot because I had a series of appointments and my office was already fully booked. I did not tell them (the party leaders) that it will be difficult to organize people from the Capitol, because most are in favour of Marcos’ burial in Libingan ng Mga Bayani,” the Congressman was quoted as saying.
“So they asked the leftist groups to bring people from Tarlac. 11 million had been released to pay each person from P2,0000 to P5,000. Each person was paid P2,000 before leaving Tarlac, but only 1,200 were able to attend because of transportation problems. Those who were paid a total amount of P2.1 million, were not able to attend. Whether the money was really paid to people, or kept by the organizers, I don’t know. The only thing I was able to verify, was the 11 million pesos because I was among those who signed the voucher.” The Congressman further added.
The lawmaker did not mention a name, but hinted that some of the main organizers were among the attendees. Personalities who attended the rally were former Commission on Human Rights head, Etta Rosales. Senators Risa Hontiveros and Paolo Benigno “Bam” Aquino IV. As well as Reps Edcel Lagman (Albay) and Teddy Baguilat Jr. (Ifugao).
“Most of those who attended the rally were students and jobless people.” The Congressman stated. He further added that the intended target was to gather at least 2,000 people. But this plan never materialized due to the heavy rains that day.
[*] Sourced from okd2.com